Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Poem: The Friendliest Folks Live Underground

I think it's about time for another poem.  This poem is called The Friendliest Folks Live Underground, and it was inspired by something that occurred on my high school senior trip.  The trip was a week long journey to Venice, Paris and London.  I'd previously taken a two week trip to Italy the summer before my junior year that stopped in Venice, Florence, Orvieto, Sorrento, Pompeii, Capri, Rome and the Vatican.  So this was my second trip to Europe, and were all hectically hustling and bustling through the London Underground.

The teachers were being a bit much so I decided to have a little fun.  I purposefully waited slightly too long, and let people push me aside.  This resulted in me not getting on the train in time.  The look on the teachers' faces was absolutely priceless.  I had a pretty good idea of how to get to the stop, but I was a little nervous.  Fortunately, a nice old lady asked me if I was okay, and I told her my plan and she offered a bit of advice.  I got on the next train, ask some of my fellow passengers when I wasn't quite sure of my plan (and they were more than happy to help), and pulled into my destination much to everyone's relief.

After that the teachers made a point of making sure I got on all of the trains on time.  However, I did get a bit more fun exploring the British Museum on my own.  Only had two hours, and did take time to help my fellow travelers find exhibits, but I made sure to get in plenty of major exhibits.  Plus I took the long way out to see more stuff, and I bought the guide book.  As for the poem, the rhyme scheme was inspired by Alexander Pope's Essay on Man, and the line about Camden Town reflects my own feelings of unease from when I payed it a visit as part of the tour.      

Anyway, enough about my travels, let's get on with the poem:


Hush Now
Don't make a fret or sound
For the friendlies folks live underground
You missed your train
You feel the strain
But kind old ladies help ease the pain
They say under London it's a labyrinth
Like the one in Minos' home
Where the minotaurs roam
And while in Camden Town
There you'll find shady folks
But underground everyone's best of blokes
So when you pull into your destination
Everyone's waiting for you with a great big smile
And all the while you realize that you have found
The friendliest folks live underground



No comments:

Post a Comment