Monday, July 24, 2023

The Audio File: The Dial-Up: Season 1

The world of audio drama is filled with shows that come in all shapes and sizes. I got my start listening to anthologies. I’ve listened to plenty of serialized shows, as is evidenced by my reviews. Still, I do have a tendency to gravitate towards shorter shows. It gives me lots of fun in a small package, and then I cast off for my next port of call. The audio drama we’re looking at today is definitely on the shorter side. In fact, it is less than an hour long. However, it still manages to tell a great story in that time. Without further ado, we’re taking a look at The Dial-Up.


The Dial-Up begins with a Scottish tech support worker named Lewis. It isn’t the most glamorous job, and the customers can be rather annoying, but it pays the bills. Recently, however, he’s gotten a call that has seriously spiced things up. He’s been contacted by another Scottish dude named Callum. It seems that Callum has never used the Internet before. In fact, he seems to big ignorant about quite a few things. It soon becomes clear that Callum is in the year 1999, while Lewis is in 2022. Lewis and Callum compare and contrast their respective lives. However, they also feel that fate has brought them together for a reason. But what could that reason be?

Like I said, The Dial-Up is very short. It is only four episodes long, and they clock in at a grand total of thirty-seven minutes long. That’s like time, plus change, for an episode of a typical anthology show. As such, this review is probably going to be a bit shorter than my typical output. Be that as it may, I shall try my best to do justice to The Dial-Up.

The Dial-Up is very much a two-man show. Well, technically a three man show. Let’s not forget series creator Philip Catherwood. In terms of voice acting, however, The Dial-Up is carried entirely by David Hepburn and Craig McDonald Kelly. I just loved how David performed Callum as a laidback devil-pay-care kind of guy. Craig did a fantastic job performing Lewis as a sensible straight man to all of Callum’s wisecracks.

This audio drama is a bit light on the sound-effects. We, of course, get to hear the iconic sound of a dial-up modem connecting to the Internet. We do get some cool sci-fi sound effects later on. Though, getting more specific would be spoilers. So, overall, a bit light on sound effects, but no shame in that. I’m working on the first episode of my own audio drama anthology, and it is also a bit light on the sound effects. I just felt that’s what would work best for that episode, and I’m sure Philip felt the same about The Dial-Up. Honestly, David and Craig gave such wonderful and lively performances, I didn’t even notice the lack of sound effects most of the time.

The major theme of The Dial-Up is about the power of the Internet to bring people together. I’m reminded of something Roger Ebert wrote in his review of the movie Pleasantville. He said, paraphrased, that perhaps it is true that we have more problems than people did in the past, but we also have more solutions and opportunities. Lewis bemoans 2022, and longs for the supposed simplicity of life in the 1990s. Callum is quick to point out that the 1990s had its share of problems as well. For example, yes, people did go out more to places like pubs and restaurants. However, that was because they didn’t have any choice but to do so. Callum also points out that many people from the 1990s would kill to have access to all of the apps and Internet stuff that Lewis has at his fingertips.

People having been complaining about how society is going to the dogs, and things were better back in the day, pretty much since human history began. To give on example, I’m reminded of a letter where a Roman rants about how the kids don’t want to wear togas, like good Romans, they want to wear pants like the barbarians. Aristotle was also fond of complaining about how the youths didn’t know what real hardship was.

You would not be reading this review if it weren’t for the Internet. In fact, The Dial-Up, and pretty much every other audio drama I’ve reviewed, would not exist without the Internet. I’ve meet so many amazing people, and kindled so many friendships, thanks to the Internet. As an autistic person, who struggles with social anxiety, I’m forever grateful for all the ways that the Internet has helped make my life easier. The Internet helped me find seamless socks, and for that I am eternally grateful. I’ve also started branching out into voice acting. Yeah, I technically could do that without the Internet, but it would be a lot harder.

Why don’t you take a minute to think about all the ways the Internet has made your life better? I’ll be here when you get back.

Okay, you back now? Good, let’s continue.

Now, all of this isn’t to say we should all cloister ourselves away. On the contrary, sometimes it is nice to get out and about in the real world. It can be quite good to do so every now and again. Indeed, Lewis does encourage Callum to try some of the fun classes and activities that his community center offers. Any virtue taken to excess becomes a vice, as Aristotle famously noted. Hey, he might have been wrong about the youths, but he was right about that. You don’t want to spend all your time in the digital world, but that doesn’t make the Internet a bad thing. On the whole, The Dial-Up takes an optimistic view about our ability to balance cyberspace and fleshspace.

This next bit is just a random observation I made. The plot of The Dial-Up kind of reminded me of the movie Frequency. It also features two dudes commutations across time. Albeit, using ham radio, rather than the Internet. I’ve never actually watched frequency, but I know the basic plot, and that it was later adapted into a television series on The CW. Now, to be clear, I’m not saying The Dial-Up ripped-off Frequency. From what I’ve seen of Frequency, The Dial-Up has enough difference to stand on its own merits. As I often say, it isn’t the plot you have, but how you use it, that truly matters. Still, it was an interesting parallel, and I do wonder if Frequency was a source of inspiration for The Dial-Up.

The Dial-Up tells a complete story, but I do wish it had been just a tad longer. I would have liked to have spent just a bit more time getting to know Lewis and Callum. But it seems this is all we will be seeing of The Dial-Up…or is it? Philip Catherwood has confirmed that we are getting a season two of The Dial-Up. I know that I can’t wait to listen to it. 

But whatever the future holds, I do know that The Dial-Up is a fantastic audio drama. It is about two guys communicating across time, and the power of the Internet to being people closer together for the better. It is short, but sweet. Here’s hoping we see more from Philip Catherwood in the future.

Well, I think that should do it from me for now. I will see you guys next time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment