Thursday, March 12, 2015

Poem: The Love Song of N.C. Griffalco

Time for another poem, The Love Song of N.C. Griffalco.  This was a poem I wrote when I was feeling particularly sad that I hadn't gotten up the courage to talk to a girl I liked in high school, but I got over that, and I'm all better now.  This was a few years ago in any event.  N.C. Griffalco is a reference to Nicholas Caraway Griffalco, a character from series of books I never published, and that we will discuss in a future blog post.

As you might guess from the title, this was inspired by TS Eliot's "The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock" and the style and themes reflect that.  Prufrock has always been one of my favorite poems.  As usual, this and all of my poems can be found on my Fictionpress account.  

And now, the poem:  



I remember when first we met
You were so bright and shimmering
I knew not what to do
As days turned to weeks and months to years
Over high Aeolian Mount you made my sprit soar
When my world was dark you were a shimmering light
Dante had Beatrice
Shakespeare had his shadowed lady
And in you I found my muse
In you my art found reason
In you my art had meaning
In you I had inspiration
Alas, your heart belongs to another
But I don't blame you my dear
Why wouldn't you pick him?
So much more dashing than I
So much more savvy of human culture than I
So much that I am not
So here I stand
Cured to love but never be love
To walk the earth as a mortal immortal
Often lie awake at night nigh and cry
In my sorrow I weep "Oh what could have been had I only been stronger!"
How many more shall I love only to have my heart shattered?
For so long my life was like a dream
But dreams don't last forever
Eventually we all must wake up

No comments:

Post a Comment