Tuesday, June 30, 2020

The Audio File: Yowie

As I'm sure I've said many times before, but there are a lot of hidden audio drama gems out there. They're just waiting to be discovered, but find them is another matter. That's a one of the reasons I created The Audio File. I like helping people find quality audio fiction. Am I going somewhere with this? Yes, I always like to add a little preamble before we get to the main event. We're taking a look at the audio drama Yowie.

Yowie takes place in Australia and follows a man named Ian Linville. The police believe that he murdered his wife and son, as well as a park ranger, on a camping trip in the Grampians National Park. However, they were never able to pin evidence on him, so he walked on a technicality. Now, Ian is conducting an interview with an investigative journalist to set the record straight. He says that he did not murder his family. Rather he claims they were kidnapped by Yowies.

As I've mentioned before, I'm more willing to take a gamble on podcasts that are shorter in length, which was a point in Yowie's favor. Personally, I think it was exactly as long as it needed to be for the story it was trying to tell. Also, I was very much intrigued by the Australian setting. I loved all things Australia when I was a kid. My dad got me a set of nightshirts that each had a different Australian animal on them. Kangaroo, koala, wallaby, wombat, kookaburra, I had them all. I even convinced by parents (or was it grandparents?) to buy me a didgeridoo; though I never really learned how to play it. I really wanted a boomerang, but I was always scared that I'd hurt myself. And yes, The Crocodile Hunter was one of my favorite television shows. When my first-grade class had a day where we all dressed up as people from different countries, which obviously meant I picked Australia.

Australia always seemed like a land of mystery and adventure. I've gotten a more nuanced view as I've gotten older, but I still have a soft spot for the land down under. I do hope I might get a chance to visit it someday. Now, let's address one bit of formation before we go forward: what is a Yowie? Basically, a Yowie is like the Australian version of Bigfoot/Sasquatch. Contrary to that time Scooby-Doo and the gang went to Australia, Yowies are not vampires, and have no connection to vampires. Well, now that we've got that cleared up, let's continue.

First of all, this is a very well-made audio drama. The voice acting, sound effects, and music and all very professional. I always appreciate when podcasters are willing to go the extra mile to create a truly great listening experience. I'm not the only one who thinks so. Yowie was a finalist in the 2019 Australian Podcast Awards. It was nominated in the Fiction and Outstanding Production categories. Though it might not have won, I'm sure Just Intertainment, the production company behind Yowie, was still very proud. 

Now let's discuss the story. Right from the start it is pretty clear that the Linville Family is incredibly dysfunctional. Ian and his wife Sarah frequently get into fights and arguments, while their son Aaron clearly doesn't want to be on the camping trip. Ian also clearly isn't pleased that Aaron doesn't like to do stereotypically manly things like hunting. So, from the start I suspected that something was up, and I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. It also confused me that they were hunting deer, since deer are not native to Australia. However, I looked it up, and it turns out that deer were imported to Australia during the 19th and early 20th centuries. Yet another species the British brought over to remind them of home; and which then wreaked havoc on the local ecosystems.

Ian is also incredibly reckless with his guns, and has fairly lax attitudes towards gun safety. Admittedly, my knowledge of Australian gun law is fairly limited, so I don't know if that was meant to be social commentary or not. As much as I enjoyed Yowie, and did very much enjoy it, I couldn't shake the feeling that I might have gotten more out of it if I was Australian. That isn't to say that it is incomprehensible to non-Australians. Far from it, the plot is perfectly coherent. Still, I do wonder if Australians might pick-up on certain things that I may have missed.

The Yowie themselves are depicted as largely peaceful creatures who almost compelled eschew violence in favor of pacifism. I say almost because, if push comes to shove, they're more than capable of defending themselves. It actually takes a couple episodes before the Yowies make a proper onscreen appearance. Oh, but don't worry, there's still plenty of suspense to be had, especially after the Linvilles run-over a park ranger. It is while they're on the run, trying to avoid detection from the authorities or anyone else, that the Linvilles notice a strange creature following them. Well, Aaron had noticed a strange blue-eyed creature earlier, but that's when the Yowie really start playing a role in the story.

It would seem that the writing team took the approach you see in a lot of horror movies. You don't immediately reveal your monster; you give little hints and fleeting glimpses. This allows the audience to build-up the monster in their minds. There is no better special effects department than the human imagination. Of course, I wouldn't go as far as to call the Yowies monsters.

Okay, I've put it off for as long as I can. We've got to talk about the spoilers. I'm talking the big ones. So if you don't want any of that, turn back now.

This is your last chance. You sure you want to go forward?

Well, okay. If you're still here, let's begin.

Well, the second shoe finally dropped. The final episode changes just about everything about the series. Turns out Ian was indeed lying. There weren't any Yowies. Ian accidentally shot Aaron during their hunting trip. Then he killed a park ranger who came to investigate the noise. Finally, he killed Sarah when they got into an argument. Oh, but we aren't done yet, turns out Sarah was pregnant at the time because she'd been having an affair. The man she'd been sleeping with turns out to be the reporter interviewing Ian. He suspected the truth, and was just trying to get Ian to admit it.

Ah, but why was Ian so forthcoming? Because he doesn't intend for the truth to get out. He kills the man, switches their drivers licenses and IDs, and cuts off the man's fingertips and slashes his face so he can't be identified. When the police arrive, they assume Ian is the one who has been murdered. And thus, a serial killer evades capture.

I mean, damn, didn't see that coming. I mean, I suspected that Ian was lying, but I wasn't expecting him to murder the interviewer so brutally. I also didn't see the interviewer being Sarah's lover, and the father of her unborn child. Admittedly, I am a bit disappointed that the Yowies didn't turn out to be real after all. Still, I would say overall the podcast is good for what it is.

I almost wish we'd get a sequel series where he continues his killing spree across Australia. Maybe the twist could be that he's the reincarnation of notorious Australian serial killer Albert Fish. Or at least, thinks he's the reincarnation of Albert Fish. Wait, no, Albert Fish was American. Hmm, I’m sure there’s some Australian serial killer who could fill the role. 

Joking aside, I absolutely loved Yowie, and I'd love to see the team work on another project. Based on how Yowie turned out I expect nothing but the best from them. Well, I don't think there's much more that I can add. Yowie is a thrilling and suspenseful tale of secrets, lie, mysteries, and maybe a few cryptids. It might be only five episodes long, but it is lean and mean, and more than worthy of your time.

Well, I think that's enough from me for now. I will see you guys next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment